[extropy-chat] "Dead Time" of the Brain.

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Sat May 6 21:04:06 UTC 2006

On May 5, 2006, at 4:55 PM, Heartland wrote:

> Jeffrey:
>>  I didn't mean to upset you.
>
> You didn't.
>
> Jeffrey:
> "When many people begin to analyze or criticize your argument
> simultaneously, it
> can give you a feeling of being hounded or attacked. But, for your
> part, when you
> present an idea that goes against the grain, especially to a
> strongly science
> oriented group, you should *expect* a great deal of fine scrutiny."
>
> I don't feel attacked. Am I annoyed? Maybe just a tiny little bit.
> More
> importantly, I've not seen a single challenge that threatened the
> logic of my
> argument, except yours. But that's not an "attack" but a part of
> constructive
> debate. Actually, your challenge even strengthened the logic of the
> argument. I
> appreciate your input.
>
> The annoying part is only when someone essentially tries to argue
> using the
> strategy of, "Oh, but that's too weird for me so this must be
> wrong" or "Look, I
> don't get it, so this must be wrong." It happens all the time.

Please drop the meta level assertions about other people.  I agree
roughly with with the assessment of J. Rogers.  I have stayed out of
this discussion because so much of it, especially from you, appears
"not even wrong".   It appears to me too sloppy and loose and at the
same time strident to be worthwhile in its current form.

- samantha