[extropy-chat] "Dead Time" of the Brain.

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Sat May 6 04:15:34 UTC 2006

"Heartland" <velvet977 at hotmail.com>

> I didn't say that "you die when you die." Why would you put your
> interpretation in quotes and imply that this is what I said?

It wasn't my interpretation, I was quoting what somebody else interpreted
what you said, a pretty accurate one in my opinion too. And in my though
experiment when I asked you to point to the original you dodged it and just
said nothing changed, when I asked you again to point to the original you
said the original is the original, when I asked again to point to the
original you said A is A and B is B, when I asked you again to point to the
original you said F is F and G is G. I confess I've forgotten what F and G
was but I'm certain you were correct, F is F and G is indeed G. But you
still couldn't point to the original.

> But you, Mr. Clark, haven't played  fair from the beginning (insults,
> straw man after straw man)

Yes, I insulted your ideas but they were so dumb they deserved to be
insulted, but I never used straw men. You kept saying my contempt of your
reverence for atoms was a straw man, but then you'd start talking  about
trajectories in space time again and we're right back at atoms. Even worse
you'd start talking about atoms (and even electrons) having individuality.

 > What happened to taking a  principle and extrapolating it to its logical
> conclusion?

That's what I did, and what I got was that when two calculators add 2 +2 and
display the symbol "4" they don't mean the same thing, and down that path
leads madness.

> Mind is not a brain.

Exactly! Mind and brain are two different things, one is an object and one
is not, one is made of atoms and one is not, one is a noun and one is an
adjective. So there is no reason in principle why one brain couldn't produce
two minds, or two brains produce one mind. It's true that with Human Beings
you generally have one brain for each mind but that is an accident of
Evolutional history not a fundamental truth.

> Would it be really so evil if I asked you  or  anyone else to think about
> these principles for a week, month or a year before challenging the
> conclusions that logically derive from these principles?

Mr. Heartland I strongly suspect I have thought about these matters longer
than you have, I know for a fact I've thought about them deeper.

  John K Clark