[extropy-chat] Death is irreversible v.1.0

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Tue May 9 04:47:34 UTC 2006

"Heartland" <velvet977 at hotmail.com>

> What I meant by "mind is more like a brick" was that mind requires matter
> so it must have properties of matter

A symphony requires matter too. Hardness requires matter also, so does
wetness, but any matter will do, neither requires a particular bit of
matter, and neither is an object, and neither is a noun.

> but it's not *just* matter. It's *matter in time and space.*

You keep saying that over and over as if you've made the discovery of the
ages, yes things happen at a time and at a place, chimpanzees have figured
that out, in fact so have sea slugs, so can you go on to something more
interesting.

> In the next version of the argument I'm definitely dropping the terms like
> "object" and replacing "matter in time and space"

I know it doesn't sound as cool but unless you can tell us about matter not
in time and space why not just call it matter, or better yet use one of
Richard Feynman's favorite words "stuff". Feynman's ideas were so profound
he didn't need pompous words to make them sound intelligent.

  John K Clark