[extropy-chat] Memetic data point

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu May 11 16:42:48 UTC 2006

On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 05:19:03PM +0100, Russell Wallace wrote:
> Had this conversation on AIM today, posting it with permission as a data
> point since I think the concerns the other person raised are likely to be
> quite representative of the general population. (I'm rw271828 - was a

They *are* representative. This is what drives me up the wall: the
first thing they all do is to look for a fly in the ointment. Look hard.
Keep looking. Never thinking about how many more options would be there to explore.
To keep people dying because of Cuba? Fidelsticks! Completely insane.

People have been dying for a long time, so it must be good.
Any change to this outrageously intolerable condition must be bad. All the fairy-tales
are full of it: let go of the good thing, because it is actually evil.
You're a human, you have to stay a human. Human good, magic bad.
This is what really made me mad as a kid: they all voluntarily relinquished
the toys, having hardly tasted them.

We will have to make early adopters demonstrate it's safe and worthwhile,
so the alpha humans will make it fashionable, so the rest of them will follow.

> latecomer to AIM, so all possible user names that didn't have strings of

IRC is similiar or worse to IM.