[extropy-chat] Not necessary smarter, just faster?

Anne-Marie Taylor femmechakra at yahoo.ca
Thu May 11 22:21:51 UTC 2006

Anna wrote:
  Even if a super computer mind could remember every last detail, equation, word or
scenerio at a million times the speed of our own, how would it be able to come up
  with Einstein theories?

  Eugen Leitl replied:
  >Just the same way Einstein did.

  >>I still don't understand? Does this mean Einstein could remember every last detail, equation,
   >>word or scenerio at a million times the speed of our own and that's why he could come up
  >>with his theories?
  >>Or am I missing something?

  Eugen Leitl wrote:
  What do you think being creative is?

  >>I think being creative is having the ability or power to create.

  Is a computer beating a grandmaster in chess being creative?

  >>No, I don't think so.

  How can you tell it isn't?

  >>I thought the game of chess was stratigec?
  >>I thought there was only so many moves you can make based on the games rules and
  >>stratigec plan?
  >>Wouldn't a computer beating a grandmaster only mean that the programmer had
  >>as much knowledge as the grandmaster?

  >>That's why I don't understand.
  >>If all I could do is retain memories and not be able to associate them (like Einstein).
  >> "not necessary smarter, just faster"
  >>doesn't make any sense to me.

  >>I'm just not understanding but thanks for the replies.

  Is the tissue in your brain being creative right now? Glia, pieces of dendritic tree?
  Ion channels? Protein domains? Water vibration modes? Quarks?

  >>I'm an average proll, this is way over my head.

  Anna