[extropy-chat] EP/memetics story in the Register

Keith Henson hkhenson at rogers.com
Sun May 14 14:17:10 UTC 2006

At 06:40 PM 5/13/2006 -0700, samantha wrote:

>It is a ridiculously rude title.  But that doesn't justify
>censorship.  People can read or not read and heap scorn on the writer
>if they are offended.   Why is more needed than that?
>
>But I don't find the guy funny really, mainly stupid on the purported
>subject.  Typical tempest in a tea pot on all sides.

The difference between funny and stupid can be a fine line, but try this
line from an essay on why guys find it scary to ask women out.

"In short, the cost of putting a woman off with a clumsy approach would
have been, in the environment of our ancestors, very high. This would lead
to a selective pressure on men to take the task of propositioning very
seriously indeed. Making a bad mistake would be almost as deleterious to
the potential for reproduction as forgetting to bring a dagger to a knife
fight."

It is gone from the University's server of course, but you can still find
it in the Google cache.

Keith Henson

PS  EP would make the case that there is a difference between guy humor and
gal humor.  Humor, according to Dr. Minsky, is a way to break up thoughts
leading in a "wrong" direction.