[extropy-chat] Bluff and the Darwin award.

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Tue May 16 06:42:31 UTC 2006

Russell Wallace  Wrote:

>any regulations [on Nanotechnology] we might invent now would ultimately
>prove about as useful as Roger Bacon trying to draw up restrictions on the
>manufacture of nerve gas.

That is a good line, that is a damn good line, it's so good I intend to
steal it. Unfortunately the rest of your post was not as good. Your argument
seems to be that the Singularity idea can't be true because if it were then
someday things would be odd; well, as far as I know there is no law of
physics that says things can't be odd.

And you're right, the Singularity idea does resonates with strong
predispositions in the human brain, and yes that doesn't make it true, but
it doesn't make it false either.

  John K Clark