[extropy-chat] Diaspora was Bluff and the Darwin award

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Tue May 16 21:11:19 UTC 2006

On 5/16/06, Keith Henson <hkhenson at rogers.com> wrote:

> Samantha is (in my opinion) right.  If you know my background, I am
> probably as qualified as any to have an opinion about this.  It is also a
> view I don't like, I was forced into it by physical reality (and Freeman
> Dyson).
>
> For what are basically economic reasons it will take nanotech level
> technology to get us into space.  I don't see any way to avoid strong AI.

Well, I see human-level AI as following rather than preceding nanotech,
though I'm hoping intermediate levels of AI can be useful as engineering
assistants. But yes, basically Samantha and you are entirely correct: space
colonization will indeed require nanotechnology. That's why it's so
important we push ahead with nanotech as fast as possible.