[extropy-chat] [ASTRO] Stars and X-Rays

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Tue May 30 17:57:21 UTC 2006

Amara can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the O- and B-class
stars (but not M-stars?) would have higher X-ray output simply due to
their higher overall energy output (and therefore higher
temperatures).  Another facter would be because they are simply more
massive and have more atoms to whose electrons can be excited to
higher energy levels.

I would be curious to know at what energy level all atoms become
completely ionized.  At that point presumably one isn't generating
X-rays by ones own electrons dropping to lower energy levels but by
random electrons from the electron "cloud" being captured.

A related question would be how are very high energy gamma rays
generated?  Do you have to have an electron coming in at very high
velocity and be captured by the atom to have its energy converted
completely to a gamma ray photon (I'm using particle analogies here --
I'm sure the electromagnetic wave approach to these questions would be
somewhat different).

Robert