[extropy-chat] Physchogenic Fields (was Role of MWI and Time Travel)

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Tue May 30 19:01:53 UTC 2006

--- Samantha Atkins <sjatkins at mac.com> wrote:

> That phrase is already in use in many ways, some of
> them rather woo-
> woo.

I get less than a dozen hits for the term 'psychogenic
field' on google but one of them is for a biofeedback
company called Eterna.

>  It is not a "field giving rise to
> consciousness..".
> Consciousness, etc. arise from information
> processing of the brain.

That is one hypothesis but it is by no means proven.
Everything in the universe processes information to
some degree or another. Why then would the brain be
conscious and everything else not? Every particle-wave
in existense is constantly updating its quantum state
based on information from every other particle-wave in
its light cone. Why are not all the atoms in the
universe conscious?

If you answer complexity, then the Internet itself is
hugely complex and does a tremendous amount of
information processing, why is the Internet itself not
conscious? Complexity and information processing may
be pieces of the puzzle but they do not by themselves
seem to suffice to explain the phenomenon. My reason
for introducing the concept of psychogenic fields is
that it may facilitate the use of mathematical tools
like tensor analysis to the problem of consciousness.

Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"What I am going to tell you about is what we teach our physics students in the third or fourth year of graduate school... It is my task to convince you not to turn away because you don't understand it. You see my physics students don't understand it... That is because I don't understand it. Nobody does." - Richard Feynman on QM