[extropy-chat] Physchogenic Fields (was Role of MWI and Time Travel)

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue May 30 20:16:52 UTC 2006

On 5/30/06, The Avantguardian wrote:

> I get less than a dozen hits for the term 'psychogenic
> field' on google but one of them is for a biofeedback
> company called Eterna.

<snip>

> My reason
> for introducing the concept of psychogenic fields is
> that it may facilitate the use of mathematical tools
> like tensor analysis to the problem of consciousness.

I think you need to use a different term to describe what you want to
talk about.

'Psychogenic' is a recognised medical term for various types of mental
problem, as opposed to a physical illness.

e.g.
Mass psychogenic illness is when groups of people (such as a class in
a school or workers in an office) start feeling sick at the same time
even though there is no physical or environmental reason for them to
be sick.
or
Psychogenic nonepileptic seizures are episodes of movement, sensation,
or behaviors that are similar to epileptic seizures but do not have a
neurological origin; rather, they are somatic manifestations of
psychological distress.

If you start talking about 'fields', then physicists will want to see
the needle on a meter swinging when it encounters one of your
'fields'.
If it is an undetectable field, then it probably only exists in your
imagination.

BillK