[extropy-chat] PHIL: Derrida and Deconstruction

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Thu Nov 2 05:23:55 UTC 2006

Jef writes

> In all seriousness (this time) I spent some time a few years ago
> exploring postmodernism.  I performed this study with the goal of
> understanding a worldview outside of my direct experience and outside my
> comfort zone, so as to better understand, relate and communicate with
> others who share my world, if not my understanding of it.
>
> My study was limited to research on the web, some representative
> books[1], interaction with a certain assistant professor of rhetoric

> [1] Some relevant books from my exploration of postmodernist thinking:
>
> _How We Became Posthuman_ by Katherine Hayles

That was very good, though it has been too many years since I read it,
and I ought to go back and look at it again.

As for a good introduction to postmodernism that seems to make sense
to those of us who come from the sciences is "On Deconstruction" by
Jonathan Culler.  Everyone I know who's read it agrees that it's a great
intro to this mess.

Lee