[extropy-chat] the self identity quest - reply to Jef

david ish shalom davidishalom1 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 12:37:59 UTC 2006

David, I've seen your writing, mainly on WTA-Talk,... For me personally, it
would
help if you would use a format that doesn't come across as a sales
pitch.  For example, if you were to make some statement (preferably
something novel, insightful or controversial within the context of the
extropy list), and follow it will some concise supporting statements and
perhaps a statement as to why others might see it as significant.
By doing so, I think you would be very likely to get a meaningful
response.

- Jef

 David reply to Jef Allbright:

I think you, and most transhumanist, would agree that if we could capture
reliably the identity critical information, than this information could be
uploaded to future conscious artificial intelligence, or even to a clone of
the same person that carry this identity, to the outcome that the future
entity carrying the same self identity as the original person. To that
second phase person I call the info-resurrected person and the claim is that
A(original) is survived in B (his duplicate) as long as they both carry the
same self identity and that they are not mutually existent.  So the critical
query here is whether one can really capture now the salient information
regarding his self identity?

According to most reductionist theories of the self including Max More The
Diachronic Self, the self or the person just is connectedness, continuity
and the right kind of cause. connectedness means the content that connect
the different stages or phases of person's life ; continuity means the
degree of change between consecutive phases of the same person and the right
kind of cause leading from a phase to its consecutive phase. In this line of
argumentation, the salient query that remains is whether we can preserve
much connectedness between the original and his duplicate? since it is clear
that we can never gather all the information about person's life, memories,
intrinsic nuances and unconscious material. Yet as is clarifies in length in
my work in the part on the transformation project see  *
http://davidishalom1.googlepages.com/home*  the very desire and intention to
transform, to enhance and ascend oneself in the transhuman future, is in
itself a primary connectedness component that more than compensate for some
reduction in connectedness, which is inevitable anyway if we want
transformation. On this line of argumentation we can clearly understand that
the salient information regarding our self identity, which holds much of our
ideal self and transformation intention, can be personally captured through
elaborate procedure that can soon be perfected and see for that  W.S.
Bainbridge work on personality capture.

I do recommend to you Jef and others who really want to check this option of
info survival to review carefully my work albeit its imperfection. I am sure
you could gather something there. My motivation to spread this notion of
info-resurrection comes from my realization that for this procedure to be
practical and instrumental, it has to gather some social and memetic
spreading. I will be thankful if  you can issue more concrete remarks to be
answered.

David Ish-Shalom