[extropy-chat] Pure Gossip: Who will Anders marry?

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 19:16:11 UTC 2006

Ok, I will freely admit that I'm potentially abusing the list, causing
discomfort to some individuals, being "bad", etc.  Live with it (unless the
list "gods" censor this...).

I happen to know Anders and I have an extremely deep respect for him and his
work and so I hope he will not view this thread negatively.  But it has
struck me that with the demise of the Extropy Institute there will be no
more Extropy conferences, there is no more Extropy "Board of Directors" that
one might look to for guidance (as ill-defined as that might be) and no more
opportunities to discuss the "details" of personal lives of the players and
S.O.s.

The last point being the key one (given recent discussion of "tribalism").
Tribes to at least some extent coalesce around the key players and what they
are doing or seem to be doing.  Watching from a distance the lives of Spike
and Eugen which are "partnered" and having been through experiences over the
last several years where one could debate endlessly how things might have
been different had their been a partner involved the topic of "two as one"
comes to mind.  (Particularly given the potential problems of these
syntheses.)  One may ask under what conditions are survival probabilities
enhanced by partnering?

The list is obviously male biased, and so one has to ask why?  Why are there
not more XX people on the list?  Setting aside that fact -- should we seek
to correct it?

Returning to the "gossip" part of this.  I know nothing about Anders'
preferences (my "conventional wisdom" is that people from Sweden may be
notoriously lax in these areas.)  But in observing Anders, the world, the
Internet, etc. the question of *whom* would be the best partner(s) with
Anders does arise [1].  Should "we" make it a mission to find one for
Anders? [2, 3]

Robert

1. Given that this is written from a distance it may be the case that Anders
is already partnered and I don't know about it.  In which case the
discussion merely shifts from him to the next person on the list.
2. If one makes the assumptions that (a) Anders is useful for the future
intelligent direction of humanity (which on my good days I would subscribe
to) and (b) that being partnered increases ones survival probabilities (iffy
I'll admit if one is watching prime time television) then it is logical to
conclude we need to partner Anders.  (Side note to Anders -- humanity trumps
your feelings -- maybe.)
3. For those that object -- assume that I've already spent some time
thinking about this message (I have).  Assume that I've balanced it from my
perspective (I have).  Also assume it is written from the framework of
considering "What is the greater good?".  "Do no harm" or "Do no evil" don't
cut it in my book.  One has to think in a forward perspective and be dealing
with sustainability and the minds which can support that.