[extropy-chat] Humor: Gmail [was: Agency as Prime Determinant of Personal Identity]

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 19:31:02 UTC 2006

On 11/4/06, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well that's worth a note in the history books.
> Someone actually found something useful in Google automated ads!
> I'm not even in the same country as their ads.

Then one is dealing with the question of targeting, not "ads" per se.  Have
you told Google where you live?  [I would expect the targeting to have a
destination specific component -- if not then they need to implement this.]

Quote:
> Check out this site: search of eiqz2q.org — depending which datacentre
> you hit, you will see between 3.8 and 5.5 BILLION RESULTS. Even worse…
> the domain is EIGHTEEN DAYS OLD.

So all your are arguing is that its possible to "play" google.  One can
"play" *any* reality -- its a question of what the reality values at a point
in time.  One can play google and get statistics on it faster than they can
adapt.

That does *not* negate the question of when Google Ads are relevant and/or
useful?  (I'm not exactly typing in Brittney Spears and getting what one
would expect as sales pitches).

Picking extreme examples of the system falling apart are not useful from an
ExICh reader list perspective because we are somewhat (significantly)
outside of the standard box.

Robert