[extropy-chat] Survival tangent.

Heartland velvethum at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 4 23:37:16 UTC 2006

S:
>> that 2 things cannot be at the same place and time has nothing to do with
>> "evolutionarily derived notions of self" (what I'm saying just happens to
>> apply to notions of "self" as well) but everything to do with the law of
>> conservation of mass/energy.

John Clark:
> We've known for over 70 years, ever since the 2 slit experiment was done
> with electrons, that one thing can be in 2 places at once. And we know that
> 2 things can be in the same place and time, in fact it has been proven
> experimentally that 3600 can. And that was 3 years ago.
>
> http://www.aip.org/pnu/2003/split/626-1.html

I believe we've gone over this before and my response is still the same. Yes, but
so what? Would you be able to implement 2 working minds with these ultracold atoms?
No, you say? Well, then why should I care about these atoms? Besides, does BEC
cause these 3600 atoms to collapse in such a way that when you return the energy to
a normal level the closed system contains only a single atom at 1/3600th of the
initial mass of 3600 atoms? Of course it doesn't. It can't.

Slawomir