[extropy-chat] Survival tangent.

Heartland velvethum at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 5 12:40:28 UTC 2006

On 11/4/06, Ian Goddard <iamgoddard at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I suspect one day a copy of a brain could be made,
> containing a synthetic sentient being. And it's likely
> that for the copy, it recalls the life of the original
> as if it where its own. But I see no reason to assume
> that the self of the original brain would be somehow
> connected to its copy. The copy brain would just be
> someone else out there. So if 'I' was uploaded just
> before I died, it would only ensure that there'd be
> someone else who accesses a database (ie, memory) that
> implies they were me. But for me, I'd be as dead as
> I'd be without the upload. ~Ian

Robert Bradbury:
"Interesting.  Someone maintaining nonidentity.  Of course I'll fall into the
camp that 1 = 1 = 1 = 1... at least for the instant that the copies are
activated.  I would be interested in whether there are others who are
operating within this framework."

Ian is 100% correct.

Slawomir