[extropy-chat] here's how complicated it is

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Sun Nov 5 17:55:34 UTC 2006

On 11/5/06, Mike Dougherty <msd001 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/5/06, Lee Corbin <lcorbin at rawbw.com> wrote:
> >

> > Here is my solution:  segregation.  Segregation today,
> > segregation tomorrow, and segregation forever.

Lee has a point. Witness recent performance in schools segregated by sex.
Yep, remove the boy-girl part of the equation and both do better.

Why does it have to be racist and sexist?

Because it *works* -- if one removes the disparities of the playing field
then it is "level". No discussion at to whether it should be perceived to be
level -- it is simply level.

  Why can't we 'segregate' (to use your negatively overloaded term) along
> dimension of performance capability?  There ARE white kids who are smarter
> than the "average" asian, so why hold them to a lower standard due to
> genetics?

[yes]

And as a sweeping genealization it is derived from in the Asian culture
where one *will* learn that which is inside of the box.  And learn it very
very well.  We "westerners" do not have a good understanding of the extent
to which they will master things we consider to be "fluff".

Whether that will play out on top remains an open question.