[extropy-chat] here's how complicated it is

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Mon Nov 6 08:16:57 UTC 2006

On Nov 5, 2006, at 10:56 AM, Lee Corbin wrote:

> Mike writes
>
>> On 11/5/06, Lee Corbin <lcorbin at rawbw.com> wrote:
>
>>> Here is my solution:  segregation.  Segregation today,
>>> segregation tomorrow, and segregation forever.
>>> Right now in California, everyone needs segregating:
>>> because the white kids can't keep up with the Asians,
>>> and many of them conclude that math, English, and
>>> science are for smart kids, not them. As the whites can't
>>> keep up with the Asians, the Hispanics can't keep up
>>> with the whites, and the blacks can't keep up with the
>>> hispanics, so we ought to go back to... yes, segregation.
>>
>> Why does it have to be racist and sexist?  Why can't we
>> 'segregate' (to use your negatively overloaded term) along
>> dimension of performance capability?
>
> Oh, I agree.  I was being a bit flippant, but as Robert has
> just said, there is a point at least insofar as gender is concerned.
> As for racial segregation, it really isn't practical anymore. For
> one thing, it would just be politically (and probably socially)
> impossible.  For another, unlike the case of sex (gender), there
> are a lot of people who are intermediary between races. And
> you know what problems that would create!

Guess again on gender being completely binary.

>> There ARE white kids who are smarter than the "average"
>> asian, so why hold them to a lower standard due to genetics?
>
> Of course.  But the point is that kids in schools can tend to
> identify their capabilities in terms of everyone around them.
> Not all kids to be sure.  The extremely capable will be fine
> no matter what.

No, I don't think so.  I went through a "good" public school system
that had nearly nothing for me.  It was geared to some average, more
numerous students' needs.  I am not even at the stratospheric top of
the intelligence chart.  I knew more than a few really bright kids who
dropped out out of boredom, frustration,  feeling utterly alien to the
entire scene and most of their "peers".   A minority of them managed
to release their brilliance into world to some (but I can't help
believe diminished) degree regardless.  Many of the withered or became
very misshapen long before they even discovered what their
capabilities were.    By the time you can label the "extremely
capable" in a non-mundane environment where their capabilities get
noticed you have begged the question.  Much potential is wasted before
it can ever get to such an environment.

- samantha

- samantha