[extropy-chat] An advance prediction for Tuesday

Chris Hibbert hibbert at mydruthers.com
Tue Nov 7 03:07:13 UTC 2006

> That's fair.  Where would I put a quick bet on my prediction, legally?
> (If you happen to know.)

For play money, you could start at foresight exchange and trade as quick
as you can set up an account, though the initial allowance is low.

http://www.ideafutures.com/
And they have claims on who will control the senate, but not the house:
http://www.ideafutures.com/fx-bin/Claim?claim=RSen06

For real money, quick isn't possible.  The real-money betting sites all
require deposits (by mail or bank transfer) before betting.

The main sites are:
Iowa Electronic Markets (IEM).  Apparently legal; they have a no-action
letter from the CFTC.  You can deposit up to $500.
http://www.biz.uiowa.edu/iem

TradeSports, in Ireland, supports Americans betting on politics.  They
believe they are legal, but it's not possible to say so with confidence.
  The recent federal gambling law only explicitly applies to gambling on
sports, but there are lots of other laws.
https://www.tradesports.com/

Betfair is British or Irish, I think.  They seem to have decided that
their focus on sports makes them too attractive a target, and they're
not currently accepting deposits from Americans.  Unless you're an
experienced gambler, their interface won't make any sense to you.  (They
use American-style gambling odds rather than percentages.)
http://betfair.com

Chris
--
C. J. Cherryh, "Invader", on why we visit very old buildings:
       "A sense of age, of profound truths.  Respect for something

Chris Hibbert
hibbert at mydruthers.com
Blog:   http://pancrit.org
http://mydruthers.com