[extropy-chat] Identity (was: Survival tangent)

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Tue Nov 7 08:10:02 UTC 2006

Heartland, High Priest of the Unique Atom and Sacred Original Cult Wrote:

> What is so holy about somebody noticing?

If anything in the universe is holy it's believing you're not dead. In my
thought experiment objectively nobody noticed anything, subjectively nobody
noticed anything, and even the universe noticed nothing, but trivial stuff
like that is not good enough for Heartland. OK I left out God, but I don't
believe in God.

Me:
>>You reject the Scientific Method as Heartland does and believes in the
>>sanctity of certain atoms.

You:
>That is a lie and you know it.

It's not a lie. You maintain there is this huge astronomical difference
between you and your copy but the scientific method can see no
difference at all, zero squat nada zilch goose egg.

> If you recall, at the beginning of this particular chain of threads, I
> suggested  you read this
> http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/identity-personal/

I started to read it but then I encountered 7, count them, 7 sentences in a
row that ended in question marks! I plowed on but after about 2 minutes it
was clear to me that whoever had written this was not wiser about these
matters that I am so there was no reason to read further.

  John K Clark