[extropy-chat] Identity (was: Survival tangent)

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Tue Nov 7 10:00:06 UTC 2006

Russell Wallace Wrote:

> It's about unbroken continuity of thought process.

I agree. Stop a brain from operating for a billion years and then start it
up again and subjectively nothing has happened, it's as continuous as
continuity can be.

> intuition isn't the right tool here

I agree yet again. Intuition whines "but it just wouldn't be me" but logic
and the Scientific Method says it is you. I'll put my money on logic and
science.

> He admitted his philosophy maybe meant he died each night when he went to
> sleep.

If true then dieing is a trivial phenomenon. I don't believe death is
trivial.

> He wants gradual rather than destructive-scan uploading

That superstition is almost as silly as the sacred atoms crap.

  John K Clark