[extropy-chat] Identity (was: Survival tangent)

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Tue Nov 7 16:57:12 UTC 2006

Russell Wallace wrote:

> I've had a friendly conversation with a threadist,
> where we both agreed the following:
>
> 1) He admitted his philosophy maybe meant he died
> each night when he went to sleep. In practice he
> simply ignores this for obvious reasons, but he
> admits the logic.
>
> 2) He wants gradual rather than destructive-scan
> uploading, and if it's ever in my power to provide
> it for him I will.

The moral problem with accepting others' irrational thinking (and yes, we all do it, for fundamental reasons of limited knowledge and computational resources) is that irrational thought leads to less than optimum actions which effect the world that we all share.

This is not to say that we should demand rationality (again, it's fundamentally limited) but it is to say that we should discard the naïve belief that the irrationality of others is solely "their own business."

- Jef