[extropy-chat] META: HTML posts

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sat Nov 11 04:15:24 UTC 2006

At 10:51 PM 11/10/2006 -0500, PJ wrote:

>You do realize that some of us don't know what the hell you're
>talking about when you say "/dev/null",

That's why dog gave us google.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//dev/null

>  "HTML hash" etc.,

I think that was a metaphor rather than a techie term.

>so maybe a general message somewhere BEFORE people join the list
>would be appropriate.  I had no idea there was an issue or a choice.

It's there, or used to be. Let's see...

http://www.extropy.org/emaillists.htm

Hmm. Not. But plain or vanilla text is customary netiquette, or used to be.

http://www.gweep.ca/~edmonds/usenet/ml-etiquette.html is a decade old
and *too* strict; e.g., requests "a mono-spaced font (as opposed to
proportionally spaced)," which is now silly, but does sensibly say:
"and avoid anything other than the most basic text you can use to get
your message across."

Damien Broderick