[extropy-chat] Suicide the Green way

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 04:55:16 UTC 2006

On 11/20/06, Mike Dougherty <msd001 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is the purpose to spread the data into space, or to remove carbon from the
> earth?  Spreading the data would be easier just pulsing a laser, wouldn't
> it?

Sorry Mike, we are jumping across several lanes (due to Spike, bad bad
Spike...).
We shifted from ecology and global warming to space development (don't ask
me how, it just happens...).

The bottom line is that global warming is a red herring (I wrote parts of a
paper on this 5+ years ago).  There are ample solutions to global warming
without people having to go and use it to justify committing suicide (which
was what started this thread).

And if we have nanotech reassembly at our disposal, why be concerned with
> removing carbon?  We'll be using it to build more diamondoid nanobots,
> right?

Yes.  Which is what makes the entire discussion of global warming
pointless.  You have to discuss global warming within at least two different
constraints:
1) Global warming up until the point where bionanotechnology can remove all
atmospheric CO2.
2) Global warming up until the point where "real" (diamondoid)
nanotechnology can remove all atmospheric CO2.

There has also recently been in the news discussion of putting enough sulfur
into the atmosphere to reduce global warming (as volcanos do naturally).

As I have said before, there is an argument that more CO2 in the atmosphere
is good because it becomes a "free" carbon source for people wishing to
harvest it to build more diamondoid nanorobots.  I've also stated that
making Canada and much of Russia more habitable are "good" from the
perspective of more land area that humans can comfortably occupy.  There are
of course opinions of an opposite nature but one generally doesn't get the
positions laid out side by side.  The "conventional wisdom" is that global
warming is "bad".

Robert