[extropy-chat] Atheist Hymn Book

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 21 20:28:10 UTC 2006

Here's one to the tune of "Battle Hymn of the
Republic"

http://www.spiritualhumanism.org/hymn.htm
--- Thomas <Thomas at thomasoliver.net> wrote:

> Well, yes I have some ideas . . . in song form.  One
> in particular comes
> to mind.  It's called "There Is A Light" and the
> music is in a fun kind
> of "holy roller" gospel style.  I agree with Ayn
> Rand that the sense of
> exaltation is not to be limited to the domain of
> religious expression.
>  I am interested in a venue for this type of
> expression -- someplace
> where I'd feel more at home than in churches or
> bars.  -- Thomas Oliver
>
> Emlyn wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> >I just watched those vids on youtube of Richard
> Dawkins talking about
> >his new book "The God Delusion" [1], and was
> inspired. Imagine someone
> >taking the case for Atheism out there in times like
> these, especially
> >in the US! What a legend. I haven't read the book
> yet, unfortunately,
> >still have to go get myself a copy.
> >
> >Anyway, it got me to thinking about one of the big
> things that Atheism
> >lacks, which is the traditions and general
> apparatus of religion.
> >Holidays, ceremonies, teachings, community.
> Culture.
> >
> >For those who don't know me, I'm a singer, and sing
> in a lot of
> >christian churches, solo and choral, but I've been
> an atheist all my
> >life  Actually by Huxley's definition I'm an
> agnostic, but in the hard
> >sense of "the existence of god is unknowable by
> definition", which is
> >in practice a hardline atheist (in that for me
> theism falls in the
> >santa clause, tooth fairy, etc camp, strictly
> unknowable and therefore
> >by Occam's Razor to be sliced out of any model of
> reality). Yet I
> >spend a lot of time in churches, as part of the
> church community,
> >because it is the institution that most supports a
> type of music that
> >I am involved in (church music, choral music,
> oratorio, etc). I don't
> >attend church as part of the flock, only as part of
> the show.
> >
> >The culture that comes with religion is easy to
> deride, but I've been
> >seeing it in detail as an outsider for many years
> now. The
> >cultural/community side of the church clearly
> provides purpose and
> >meaning to many people, and the labours of people
> involved in it seem
> >to do an awful lot of good. There's a lot of
> feeding the poor, caring
> >about injustices, working for a better future,
> going on in the
> >grassroots of the churches (especially the old
> ones). I put this down
> >to the focus of religion, which is to think about
> the basis for and
> >reason for existence. Although they clearly get the
> answers dreadfully
> [...]

Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"Believe nothing. No matter where you read it, or who said it, even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."- Siddhartha Guatama aka Buddha.