[extropy-chat] Atheist Hymn Book

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 23 06:18:14 UTC 2006

On 11/22/06, Heartland <velvethum at hotmail.com> wrote:

> >From a potential "God obviously does not exist" playlist...
> Lost in the stars - Martin Gore (originally by Maxwell Anderson & Kurt
> Weill)
> Blasphemous Rumours - Depeche Mode
>
> ("Imagine" would be there too, of course)

Imagine keeps getting quoted.. for what?  "no religion too"  ?  It's a
depressing vision of complete homeostasis where everyone just sits around
oblivious to everyone and everything else.  (that's dropping out without
first turning on or tuning in)

I keep thinking about "music" being generated in real time based on
biofeedback.  "Artists" would be considered successful if their
input-to-output algorithm was pleasing to a large group of listeners - or
perhaps self-seek an optimal enjoyment level.

Seriously, why buy an ipod to hear the same old stuff done over and over the
same way if you can have a personal experience drivin by your own internal
state at the moment you 'plug in' to it - and let the music evolve to your
mood/response?  We would be discussing how quickly discord attenuates to
harmony, or how soon the dynamicism is played out of a given algorithm.
Good meta-composers will have longevity, bad will obviously not.  The
good/bad measure of meta-composition will be even more subjective than
'static' composition.