[extropy-chat] Atheist Hymn Book, naturalist point of view.

Thomas Thomas at thomasoliver.net
Thu Nov 23 17:04:44 UTC 2006

Anna Taylor wrote:

>[ . . . ]
>
>Music is only about what YOU hear.

I understand many deaf people enjoy the "feel" of music . . . the
tactile sense of vibration and rhythm.  The value of anything cannot be
separated from who does the valuing.  Some people only enjoy music with
the right side of their brain.  There was a time when I felt my
enjoyment of music was diminished by my aquired ability to analyze it.
 Once the brain hemispheres start working together the overall pleasure
is much enhanced.  That's why music appreciation courses are offered.

>The chords and the lyrics are/or make, why people
>like to listen to music.

Chords and lyrics are less essential than melody -- rap notwithstanding.

>[ . . . ] I still haven't understood what's
>the point of telling a story that reflects misery.

Well, the point is catharsis.  I think the blues relieves the build up
of negative pressure and perhaps sets the stage for enlightenment.
On the other hand, if you are of the persuasion that your words have
creative power, then you'd best be mindful of what you are chanting for,
right?   -- Gently,  Thomas