[extropy-chat] Atheist Hymn Book, naturalist point of view.

Thomas Thomas at thomasoliver.net
Thu Nov 23 18:14:10 UTC 2006

Emlyn wrote:

>Yep, concentrating on the positive is a good idea IMO.
>

>>(1) Atheist meaning I don't reject the belief in God
>>and/or/although, I don't abide by the exact points
>>of the definitions given by religion.
>>

>This is not atheism! This is some kind of unspecified mysticism.
>Atheism is the "disbelief in or denial of the existence of God or
>gods" (got that from http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/atheism,
>which also lists some rather irritating definitions like "the doctrine
>or belief that there is no God", which I know a lot of atheists would
>disagree with).
>
>Emlyn

I think Anna, like many of us, is not fully polarized on the God
concept.  Some may have a haunting "simulus" (Minsky's term) built up in
the mind even though we've rejected the self contradictory concept we
were handed.  My father, at the time he pointed out the contradictions,
also mentioned that religion has kept a lot of people from being bad.
 Is the unknowable really worth denying?  Realistically, God, the
delusion, has existed for a long time.  I prefer to handle that fact as
gracefully as possible, but I'm not above kicking dogma and hypocrisy in
the butt.  This Principia Cybernetica page
<http://pespmc1.vub.ac.be/GOD.html> offers an interesting disscussion of
the (dis)belief in God spectrum.  Gently,  Thomas