[extropy-chat] 'a process of non-thinking called faith' 2 (2)

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Mon Nov 27 01:22:58 UTC 2006

On Nov 26, 2006, at 12:33 AM, BillK wrote:

> On 11/25/06, Eugen Leitl wrote:
>> And clearly, given the numbers like
>> http://nationalpriorities.org/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=182
>> ($345176937000, and counting) such investments into renewable
>> energy sources would clearly have a much better ROI than killing
>> a large number of people, and ruining a country already damaged
>> by prior meddlings.
>>
>> And I don't have to remind people about numbers like
>> http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/
>> (nevermind personal debt, which is some 85 k$/household)
>> and that debt interest is an exponential function.
>>
>> Due to nature of fiat currencies with crooks behind the printing
>> press and exponential nature of interest the growing gap between
>> physical value and numerical value gets periodically readjusted.
>> Given by the wideness of the gap, the coming readjustment seems
>> to dwarf the 1930s one. I recommend bring your personal affairs
>> in order soonish, or risk losing a lot. Not just wealth.
>>

> Concerning personal finances, if you expect a period of high inflation
> and collapsing money, then it makes sense to borrow as much money as
> possible and buy real assets.

Not unless you have fixed rate interest.  That is increasingly
difficult to come by.  Besides what you are advocating is a rip off.
Many types of interest are now pegged to various indices that rise
with inflation and collapsing money.  They will come after your assets
to pay your depths plus exorbiant interest when their backs are
against the wall.

> Rampant inflation wipes out monetary
> debts as well as monetary assets. (Yes, interest rates will rise, but
> you are making interest payments in devaluing money).  After the
> holocaust you will still have your land, property, diamonds, gold
> bars, whatever.

Don't bet on it.  The Fed has said that it has every right to
confiscate gold and anything else it wishes from the sheeple in the
evident of a war or any declared emergency.  Put some assets out of
their reach if you want a bit of safety and there is still a legal or
practical way to do so.  Consider yourself warned.

> However, current news reports indicate that the slowdown
> (readjustment?) in the US property market is not expected to cause an
> economic collapse.
> (But then they would say that, wouldn't they?).  ;)

Yep.  Besides, the housing bubble is only one of the Horsemen of Econo-
Apocalypse.

- s