[extropy-chat] MISSING: Full Coverage of Max and ExI in Wikipedia's Transhumanism

nvitamore at austin.rr.com nvitamore at austin.rr.com
Tue Nov 28 12:16:43 UTC 2006

Greetings,

I am traveling and in meetings in South America with people mostly from
Europe and other varied locations throughout the world.  Last night at one
reception, several asked me why Wikipedia's entry on "transhumanism" places
emphasis on a historical account of transhumanism that appears to
intentionally leave out Max More and Extropy Institute, and much else.

My answer was that no one from Extropy Institute or transhumanism in
general has been proactive in making sure Max and ExI are covered or that
this essay is accurate.  I know from reports to me when president of ExI
that there have been three to six writers who have dominated this
entry/article. In all due respect, their work is well done and they deserve
an applause for their stamina, but are they objectively reporting
transhumanism outside of WTA and/or other fractions of transhumanism?  Does
the article spend enough time on the ExI and its conferences, magazines,
and especially its email list?  What about the speakers at the ExI
conferences whose ideas were introduced and debated early on - before many
of us joined in and which now we celebrate and which are now also
mainstream issues?

Now, looking at this from a different perspective:  I met with an author
who mentioned this to me and he said that the fact that FM used the term
"transhuman" without prior knowledge of the term being used, and also that
Max used the term "transhumanism" without prior knowledge of Huxley using
the same word is totally acceptable in light of the fact that Huxley used
the term transhumanism after probably reading the term Tran humanized in
Dante's writings or even had heard a variation of the term by others in
close proximity at that time.

The real issue is what was meant by the term because it has been suggested
and documented that who used it first has become the tool for taking the
credit off of Max and placed on someone who is dead and has no current
real-time presence or standing in transhumanism.

I'd like to read what you all have to say.  I don't know if Max will read
this but my assumption is that he must be outraged if not terribly hurt and
disappointed in this entire mess.

Where are you all?  Do you not care?   I'd like to get your views.  It is a
shame that Riley Jones is not on the list now.

agradece e bom por para agora,
thanks and good by for now,

Natasha

http://mail2web.com/ .