[extropy-chat] MISSING: Full Coverage of Max and ExI in Wikipedia's Transhumanism

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 13:43:45 UTC 2006

On 11/28/06, nvitamore at austin.rr.com <nvitamore at austin.rr.com > wrote:

> Where are you all?  Do you not care?   I'd like to get your views.  It is
> shame that Riley Jones is not on the list now.

I would say that I care, but may not be the best person to attempt to edit
the entry as I wasn't around in the early days (I can only comment circa
1997 to present).  I think it would require someone who predates me --
Keith, Anders, Russell and Spike come to mind.

When it comes to wikipedia I try to make it a policy to avoid editing
entries where I may be viewed as being biased (though I will comment in the
discussion [tab] of such entries).  That way the entry itself can be viewed
as relatively independent of people directly involved (independent review).
This can of course become problematic if there are only a few people in the
world who can be considered authoritative sources on a topic.

I would suggest that minimally points could be made in the discussions area
by anyone and then it only becomes problematic if people start editing out
others comments.  [I don't believe that transhumanists would do this but my
understanding is that in the political arenas things got pretty messy.]
Wikipedia is always difficult from the perspective of trying to strike a
balance between accuracy, brief summaries and a book length treatise on a
topic.

Robert