[extropy-chat] Uses of Religion

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Mon Oct 2 05:48:50 UTC 2006

Olga writes the difference between Saddam killing Iraqis and Iraqi's killing Iraqies.

> [Lee writes]
> > There are many differences.  But probably the most important is indeed media
> > related[:]

meaning to say, as I did, that we seem to want not being upset by our
daily news more than we want fewer deaths and less suffering all around.

> IMO one of the crucial differences is that the blood used to be mainly on
> Saddam's hands.  Now it is on George Bush's hands

Why is it so important whose blood is on whose hands?  That is, if we are
interested in less suffering, everything else being equal we should applaud
actions that reduce casualties.  (Yes---I know that not everything else is
equal.)

It reminds me of the chain of reasoning pacifists use.  They are disturbed,
yes, by killings, but it's whether or not their own hands are clean that is
to them what's crucial.

> Another important difference is that the reputation of the USA has sunk to
> a very low level (Abu Ghraib: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abu_Ghraib_prison)

Please find me a major conflict without incidents of this kind (or, usually,
much worse) any time in human history.  Even when sociopaths are not
drawn into armies and police forces---and it's estimated that about four
percent of people are sociopaths---wars invariably coarsen all involved.

Lee