[extropy-chat] FRA security theatre

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Sat Oct 7 22:02:35 UTC 2006

On Oct 7, 2006, at 2:07 AM, Amara Graps wrote:
> Well well. After passing through the US Security Theatre at Frankfurt
> Airport.. Each time I travel to the US, I think that the security
> checks
> can not possibly become more ridiculous (and humiliating). The next
> time
> I discover that indeed it can, and it is.

For whatever it is worth, a few European countries (e.g. the UK, and
from what I hear, Belgium) have more asinine rules and restrictions
than the US.  Not many, but a few.  The US is very sensitive to
business travels and does seem to change the rules to accommodate them.

Unfortunately, the most restrictive hop of a flight apparently
determines what you have to do for the whole trip.  For example, my
upcoming business trip from the US to Switzerland passes through
Heathrow, which means that I have to comply with the pathologically
stupid UK rules that make travel very unpleasant for business
travelers that neither the US nor Switzerland employ.  If I had more
time, I would have avoided the UK altogether which over the long term
is going to impact economies.

I do not find US air travel significantly worse than other countries
most times these days, partly because the US has gotten more
efficient at it and the rest of the world has gotten worse.  I pine
for the pre-9/11 days when flying was like riding a bus more often
than not.  To think I had complaints about the hassles then...

J. Andrew Rogers