[extropy-chat] Fools building AIs

Ben Goertzel ben at goertzel.org
Mon Oct 9 12:09:42 UTC 2006

> I think the thread of argument is getting lost here.

Agree

>The thread was as
> follows (my summary):

The thread has been beaten far enough into the ground IMO but I will
offer a clarification...

> Ben:  "My friend thinks the human species *should* die."

This is not a fair paraphrase.  The opinion expressed was more along
the lines that it is correct and appropriate for the human race to be
replaced with something superior.   Not that a priori the human
species should die....

> EY:   "Then your friend doesn't strike me as a frontrunner for World's
> Clearest Thinker."
> Ben:  "But that plan *could* be consistent with rationality, given
> different goals."
> EY:   "We're not talking about an arbitrary nonhuman mind, we're talking
> about your friend."

I still believe my friend, under discussion here, is a clear thinker
and simply has a goal system that doesn't place extremely high value
on the perpetuation of the human race.  I see nothing inconsistent nor
surprising here.  Human nature is diverse in spite of its common
evolutionary underpinnings.

-- Ben