[extropy-chat] Fools building AIs - A New Take

Samantha  Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Tue Oct 10 04:38:14 UTC 2006

On Oct 9, 2006, at 5:09 AM, Ben Goertzel wrote:
> I still believe my friend, under discussion here, is a clear thinker
> and simply has a goal system that doesn't place extremely high value
> on the perpetuation of the human race.  I see nothing inconsistent nor
> surprising here.  Human nature is diverse in spite of its common
> evolutionary underpinnings.

  It seems to me that the majority of the people here actually do want
the human race to be replaced by something superior.  Most want that
superior something to have continuity with existing humans, especially
themselves through augmentation, uploading and such.  But those future
ex-humans will not be human in body,  are unlikely to keep human
emotions as we know them, will have eschewed most human limits, will
think perhaps millions of times faster and will most likely think and
exist so radically differently as to be a completely different type of
being.  I dare say that most of us are rather in a hurry to go beyond
the current rather sorry human state no matter how much we may enjoy
parts of it along the way.

If this so then the argument boils down to whether humans as we know
them go away by choice and whether they get transformed into something
better or are simply replaced.

- samantha