[extropy-chat] cryonicist's nightmare

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Mon Sep 4 15:14:36 UTC 2006

bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Robert Bradbury
their son discovered the freezer unit had broken down and they had
started to thaw...

He should *never* have done this.  While thawing and refreezing will cause
more damage to the cells it is completely unclear whether it disrupts the
ultrastructure sufficiently that recovery would be impossible...

Robert, we need to recognize that there are relatively few people in this
world who really grok things like recovery mechanisms, nanotech, brain
structure preservation, etc.  There are relatively few who are not all
screwed up by misguided religious or ethical notions about cryonics.  Some
may argue that every revived cryonaut causes 20 African children to starve.
Some future earthlings my argue that this cryonaut was frozen before the
world revolution, so why do we need another infidel on a planet that still
has several million that have not yet been slain or forced to convert at
gunpoint.

>As pointed out above, refreezing the bodies is the correct thing to do...

Ja, at -20C, they weren't really thawed.

>  Its an untested area -- whether one can sue (or jail) someone who has
"come back from the dead". Robert

You don't actually jail someone who has come back from the dead.  You
refreeze them for the length of the sentence.  Societies should be doing
that now for those with sentences of life without parole: convert those
sentences to 100 years in the nitrogen bath.