[extropy-chat] Still confused:)

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Mon Sep 4 19:09:30 UTC 2006

On Sep 3, 2006, at 8:28 PM, Rik van Riel wrote:

>> Increasingly I believe the masses are irrelevant and the attempt to
>> convince them is an utter waste of precious time and resources.
>
> What I wonder is whether extropian goals can be achieved without
> the momentum of supporters/believers.  Not necessarily the blind
> faith believers you see in many other religions, but it might be
> useful/necessary/fun to organize extropian resources a little
> more.

How many supporters and with what qualities are needed for which
projects?   How many uber-techie millionaires or billionaires would it
take to say fully fund a few AGI projects or MNT?   Why are we
spending year after year bemoaning the lack of funding?   The funds
are out there and targeting them successfully does not require
convincing the masses of anything as I see it.   Even discounting a
few deeper pockets why can't those of us reasonably well supplied in
daily bread start a pool of say 5% of earnings and invest it in some
of the crucial projects?  Some of already give to various one off
groups and projects now but it is one by one and perhaps not as
effective as it could be.

- samantha