[extropy-chat] Resource Dispersal

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Sep 7 09:24:52 UTC 2006

On Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 05:04:03PM -0700, A B wrote:

>    For the sake of this question, lets assume that the first
>    super-intelligent mind is derived purely from AI research (ie. there

That's overwhelmingly unlikely. Classical AI research is sterile.
You would have to bet on computational neuroscience, which is strongly
biology-inspired.

>    aren't yet any cyborgs running around) and that this occurs in the

I'm not sure there will be any cyborgs running around, ever.

>    relatively near future (~10 years from now or less). Let's assume that

We'd be lucky to have the hardware by 2040, or so. But having the hardware
is just a potential. It may sit there utilized suboptimally for several
decades.

>    it is "friendly" and pursues altruistic goals. Do you guys believe

Why should it be friendly?

>    that the AI, acting consistently with "friendliness", would
>    "peacefully" enforce an equal distribution of resources (eg. energy,

It's good that you put that in scare-quotes.

>    matter, etc.) among all conscious beings on earth? Or, would you guess
>    that the AI would feel compelled for any reason to preserve something
>    similar to the weighted economic/ethical system that we have today (in
>    the Democratic countries at least). (Note: I'm not yet indicating my
>    preference on this matter, I'm just curious about what some Extropians
>    think).

I think if you've made a naturally superintelligent system, and there is
no possibility to hitch a ride on its ascent, you're instant fossil record
(metaphorically -- you'd need sediments for the fossil record).