[extropy-chat] Volcanic diamond eruptions

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 07:31:01 UTC 2006

On 9/18/06, John K Clark wrote:
> I have a question about geology that I have not been able to find an answer
> to. We've all heard that diamonds come from volcanoes, but no modern volcano
> produces diamonds.

I think the article you want is:
<http://hosting.soonet.ca/eliris/geoforum/diamonds.htm>

mantle over 100 million years ago. Only a specific type of small
volcano brings these diamonds to the surface.
Quote:
"The explosive emplacement of the volatile-rich kimberlite magmatic
fluid results in the development of near surface kimberlite 'pipe'."

BillK