[extropy-chat] Volcanic diamond eruptions

John john.heritage at v21.me.uk
Mon Sep 18 12:50:01 UTC 2006

Hi Robert,

I was having a search around and found this;

"The diamond phase of carbon is metastable with respect to the graphitic phase under normal conditions; that is, graphite is thermodynamically favored over diamond (?G = ?2.99 kJ / mol). However, the rate of conversion from diamond to graphite is extremely slow due to the presence of a large kinetic barrier to this rearrangement. At room temperature, it would take an extremely long time (possibly more than the age of the Universe) for an appreciable amount of diamond to decay into graphite."

I also found an article titled "Size Dependence of Structural Metastability in Semiconductor Nanocrystals" from Science. I've posted it to you off the list.

Best wishes,
John