[extropy-chat] Sanity-Stealing Penguins?

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sun Sep 24 21:50:43 UTC 2006

[a friend writes:]

I saw a pub with a "Specials"
board outside on which somebody has written "One by one the penguins
are stealing my sanity".  This struck me as a delightfully surreal
comment but, at the same time, a trifle too surreal to be an off-the-
cuff remark from a local inebriate so, on returning home, I googled
the term to see if it came from somewhere.

Rather to my surprise it seems to turn up everywhere, albeit with
subtle variations, from bumper-stickers for sale on Amazons, to
slogans on penguin sweat-shirts, to taglines on bulletin boards, to
random comments made in passing.  However, I can't find any trace of
quite where the quotation comes from, or what it means :-(

any clues among the informati here?

Damien Broderick