[extropy-chat] Rapid prototyping makes police state more likely

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Mon Sep 25 14:00:22 UTC 2006

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Jay Dugger
> Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] Rapid prototyping makes police state more
> likely
>
> Monday, 25 September 2006
>
> [snip]
> > If governments allow this, (Can they stop it?), I see life
>
> Having worked in machine tools not too long ago, let me point out that
> the ability to crank out firearms in basement workshops exists
> nowadays and has for some time. The British Sten Gun and Bill Holmes'
> books come to mind, but I Am Not A Gunsmith (IANAG). The scenario
> exists now in some sense. AFAIK we've not seen an explosion in crime
> driven by home-built guns...
> Jay Dugger

Ja, but of course this is not exactly comparable.  There would be no point
in making guns in your basement when you can buy them cheaply at the local
sporting goods store.  If one needs an automatic, they can be created easily
(even if illegally) from existing hardware and internet-available
modification devices, along with the instructions on how to do it.

Humanity is facing an entirely new threat with the rapid prototyping.