[extropy-chat] Islamic morons win yet again

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 09:48:02 UTC 2006

On 9/29/06, spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:

> The existence of deserts is a mere engineering problem.  We could
> eliminate
> them all if we made a modicum of effort, using technology that already
> exists.  I don't know why humankind has not done much to turn the Sahara
> into a forest, or farmland, or something useful.  Such a waste of
> otherwise
> good real estate, oy.

You don't see it in the U.S. but some are doing just that.  I believe it is
Dubai which has the largest indoor skiiing facilities in the world.  The
program I believe pointed out that Libya is building a massive pipeline to
move underground water from far inland to the coasts where the people are
(presumably for the purposes you mention -- farmland, etc.)  The concern is
that due to the lack of rainfall it is using an unsustainable resource (like
our oil pipelines).  The program also suggested that the decline in rainfall
over the Sahara was due to a cooling of the Earth -- so if we get global
warming we may get a wet N. Africa as well.  A wetter N. Africa, more
farmable/livable land in Canada and Sibera, a navigable N.W. passage, free
carbon available to anyone for building nanostuff ...  Jeepers -- it sure
seems like people are getting all bent out of shape about something which on
balance would have lots of good consequences.  Lets put all the polar bears
in climate controlled zoo habitats and find a nice arctic island (soon to be
non "arctic") where we can send all the nonprogressites so they can live
with their own "kind" :-|.

Robert