[extropy-chat] Best To Regard Free Will as Existing.

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Tue Apr 3 23:47:24 UTC 2007

John writes

> the term "free will" is just a noise some people like to make
> with their mouth, that's it, nothing more. Personally I never
> cared much for the sound of it myself, I don't find it
> particularly musical and so I seldom make that noise with
> my mouth.
>
> I don't believe there is any idea in philosophy (or criminal law)
> stupider than free will, not even immaculate conception.
> It's a classic example of an idea so bad it's not even wrong.

I always enjoy the clarity of your writing, John, and the clearness
of thinking that evidently lies behind it. In cases like this, the
clarity is strikingly enhanced even further by the total lack of such
distractions as reasons and arguments.  Most people fail to
realize how seriously the latter compromise the forcefulness
and persuasiveness of their discourse.

(I myself often fall into the trap of providing the uninitiated with
the steps towards which I reach a conclusion, or outline steps
in reasoning that might assist them in reaching the same
conclusion. You serve as an admirable model for "cutting to
the chase" and telling people what you really think!)

Now that I know how you feel about these things, your position
is very clear, thanks.

Lee