[extropy-chat] Best To Regard Free Will as Existing.

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Apr 4 07:22:55 UTC 2007

On Tue, Apr 03, 2007 at 05:28:02PM -0400, John K Clark wrote:

> > How can you prove you've got free will, or not, empirically?
>
> You can't prove it, not for any deep reason it's just that the term "free
> will" is just a noise some people like to make with their mouth, that's it,
> nothing more. Personally I never cared much for the sound of it myself, I
> don't find it particularly musical and so I seldom make that noise with
>  my mouth.
>
> I don't believe there is any idea in philosophy (or criminal law)
> stupider than free will, not even immaculate conception.
> It's a classic example of an idea so bad it's not even wrong.

We're in 120% agreement here.

> And Eugen congratulations! I was able to read your entire post without going
> through any contortions. Have you decided that Microsoft is not the great
> Satin after all? Have you decided that following the "generally accepted E

No, it's actually more a case of (not) leaving ugly droppings in the Mailman
archives. Because of this I've also started breaking long lines (but URLs).

I'll probably go back to inline signatures, though these add more visual
clutter to each post.

> mail standard", a "standard" virtually nobody follows, is not such a great
> idea if you want to communicate?

I must admit I don't care a fig about proprietary vendors and their
broken software. And given MS's business practices... you'd fare
better wearing fur from clubbed baby seals, morally.