[extropy-chat] Best To Regard Free Will as Existing.

Thomas Thomas at thomasoliver.net
Thu Apr 5 00:19:49 UTC 2007

Eugen Leitl wrote:

>On Tue, Apr 03, 2007 at 05:28:02PM -0400, John K Clark wrote:
>

>>>How can you prove you've got free will, or not, empirically?
>>>

>>You can't prove it, not for any deep reason it's just that the term "free
>>will" is just a noise some people like to make with their mouth, that's it,
>>nothing more. Personally I never cared much for the sound of it myself, I
>>don't find it particularly musical and so I seldom make that noise with
>> my mouth.
>>
>>I don't believe there is any idea in philosophy (or criminal law)
>>stupider than free will, not even immaculate conception.
>>It's a classic example of an idea so bad it's not even wrong.
>>

>We're in 120% agreement here.

I don't know what "some people" mean, but I thought "free will" meant
more self than other determined.  I thought it reflected, to some
degree, a "human" qualification.  I learned that respect for it provides
a simple and efficient means of proper social interaction.  How wrong
could I be?  -- Thomas