[extropy-chat] Avoid Too Much Change.

Anders Sandberg asa at nada.kth.se
Sun Apr 8 19:03:01 UTC 2007

Thomas wrote:
> I would hope that, at IQ 12,000 one would view reptilian complex
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reptilian_brain>1 based issues of
> dominance and submission as of little  relevance.  I guess social status
> works better than no motive at all (for getting smarter).  I hope
> something starts working for me! -- Thomas.

Hmm, we evolved brains in order to find food more easily and avoid getting
eaten. That core function has never disappeared, it has just developed
into first various appetitive and aversive drives, then into even more
complex emotions and behaviors. When I write a project grant proposal I am
in a sense just doing sublimated eating-promotion. Maybe 12,000 IQ
entities are sublimating social dominance similarly into complex posthuman
behaviors that do not look very reptilian.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Oxford Uehiro Centre for Practical Ethics