[extropy-chat] Avoid Too Much Change.

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Apr 11 18:54:09 UTC 2007

On Wed, Apr 11, 2007 at 07:20:04PM +0100, Russell Wallace wrote:

>      No longer true?! It I'm more powerful than you that means I can do
>      things
>      you can't, and that gives me an advantage over you.
>
>    But not an evolutionary advantage. What's your evolutionary fitness?

The fitness delta of machine-phase systems to biology is so large it's
a qualitative difference.

>    So if you acquire the wherewithal, are you planning to go around
>    "hammering" people who hold the belief in question? What are you
>    planning to do, beat them up? Machine gun them to death? Gas them? Zap
>    them with unobtainium?

Do you know what your successors in 3000 years will do? Will you vouch
for them?

>    Sure. My point is merely that there are times when it's important to
>    remind ourselves of the difference between stories and reality.

Going to the Moon was just a story once.

>    Except that AI doesn't presently exist, it isn't going to exist unless
>    people build it, and nobody rational enough to be capable of

Evolution is not especially rational, but rather capable.

>    contributing to the field is going to build an AI that can't be
>    controlled and whose motives are destructive.

You can't control persons. Destructive is in the eye of the observer,
would you prefer Earth would have been mothballed at the prebiotic stage?

We primate bauplan people do not play in the same league of what
will come after us. The future is strange and wild. Human it is not.