[extropy-chat] Avoid Too Much Change.

Thomas Thomas at thomasoliver.net
Wed Apr 11 23:34:10 UTC 2007

Eugen Leitl wrote:

>[...]
>

>>   Except that AI doesn't presently exist, it isn't going to exist unless
>>   people build it, and nobody rational enough to be capable of
>>

>Evolution is not especially rational, but rather capable.

The reasoning mind stands as the ultimate survival tool evolution has
produced to date.  I doubt evolution's subrational products can surpass
it.

>>   contributing to the field is going to build an AI that can't be
>>   controlled and whose motives are destructive.
>>

>The future is strange and wild. Human it is not.

Wrong tense for such absolute assertions.  And to what end?   We have
ample chaos to content with right now.  Besides, even were human
extinction inevitable, we might welcome it with open transhuman arms.
Meat grinding seems a more unlikely threat than mind cannibalism.  But
the upside of getting eaten will be continued survival as a sub entity.
 As long as it optonal, it won't be so terrifying.  Perhaps we could
work out mind donor agreements to keep things orderly.  -- Thomas